How Not to Beat the Breathalyzer — Part II

Posted by Lawrence Taylor on April 1st, 2005

A few months ago I posted a story, "How Not to Beat the Breathalyzer", about a gentleman from Alberta, Canada, who was arrested for DUI and had a novel idea on how to fool the breathalyzer: While in the back seat of the police car, he simply ate his own underpants so they would absorb the alcohol in his stomach. It didn't work. I don't know what they're drinking up there, but another of our northern neighbors just arrested for drunk driving came up with yet another theory for beating the machine. From the Ottawa Sun (March 30):

TORONTO — An accused drunk driver tried but failed to foil a police breathalyzer after stuffing his mouth full of feces…. Arrested Sunday after his Ford pickup was pulled over on a highway just outside of Barrie, the 59-year-old driver was loaded into a cruiser and taken to a police station for testing…. After arriving at the station, (Sergeant James Buchanan) said the man grabbed a handful of his own waste "and placed it in his mouth, attempting to trick the breathalyzer machine." It didn't work, Buchanan said.
  • Ana,Well, I can assure this is not a FTA on a spednieg ticket problem. Sounds more like a probation violation you ran out of chances and now in jail problem.Obviously, if a person waits until they get arrest to deal with an outstanding warrant or probation problem, the chances of a no jail result are zero. The real question is how long, how many times, and when.Your husband is not capable of handling this on his own. He should (or you should) hire a defense attorney to sort out the problem. I suspect it is complicated here, and may involve more than one case.You should contact our local los angeles county sponsor attorney, Mr. Mark Gallagher. He is very good with these cases. He can be reached at . I will ask him to contact you to provide a quote if he can help.I wish I had better news for you. You may be able to get him out right away by posting bail, but in the long run it may not be a good investment. You need to talk to an attorney who can look up the case and discuss the details with you and the cost for help.If he does not have access to the resources to hire a private attorney, once in court he can ask the judge to appoint a public defender.He will probably get out quick, but then have pending court dates for sentencing on the problem. But I cannot say for sure on these limited facts.